Plain American Language

I cut a sliver/of WC William's finger
and placed it inside/my philosophy...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

New Poet Laureate

We got a new poet laureate, ladies and gents. Charles Simic. Check him out, here. Some of his poetry is in that same site. Check him out.

Something to consider: he's from Yugoslavia, born there, then came here when he was 15. Moved outta here during WWII. Is he American? Does he deserve to be the Poet Laureate? personally, i say yes and yes.

This is what the man has to say bout American poetry, which I find interesting and very true and fun: "At least since Emerson and Whitman, there's a cult of experience in American poetry. Our poets, when one comes right down to it, are always saying: This is what happened to me. This is what I saw and felt. Truth, they never get tired of reiterating, is not something that already exists in the world, but something that needs to be rediscovered almost daily."

No comments: