Plain American Language

I cut a sliver/of WC William's finger
and placed it inside/my philosophy...

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

After Stanzas, Sexes, Seductions by Anne Carson

It is good to be neuter.
What's between your legs
is of no consequence.
Absolute void.
Like death.

Although I do want you,
don't get me wrong;
to hold fast to you,
even in vain; like
tide waves reaching up cliffs.

I write poems about myself
too often. I'd rather be Not.
It all goes away, afterwards.
I wanted to be touchable,
like a lover.

Isn't it time we see ourselves
as essentially silly
objects? Silly as sex,
which is enjoyable, and death,
which is not.

I love your arms--
so smooth & strong.
Will you pick me up,
carry me away
in the face of death?

Oh how like a dancer
you are! Rocking slow
to my eyes, because
everything is going--"little
spin, little drunk, little do, little oh, alas."

No comments: